Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Philadelphia Spectrum 'Demolition'

So today, I went to the 'demolition' of the Philadelphia Spectrum and might I say...it was anticlimactic. The Spectrum was a building that housed the 1974 and 1975 Stanley Cup winning 'Broad Street Bullies' Flyers teams, the 1982-1983 NBA Final winning 76ers, The Arena Football Championship winning team, Philadelphia Soul in 2008, WWE Summerslam and King of the Ring in the 1990s, decades of amazing concerts, and even Elvis once left this place. For all of that to happen in the Spectrum, it deserved to be blown up! The first strike of the wrecking ball hit the building at 12:35 and this old girl was going nowhere. The Spectrum stood strong after about six strikes and finally started to crumble on the seventh strike. Now a gapping hole sits in a small portion of the building. The entire place will take four months to fully demolish.
In case anyone cares, I wanted to share my favorite Spectrum memory. Back when I was 6 years old, my Dad took me to my first 76ers game. He somehow managed to get floor seats and we were actually seated in the folding chairs right behind the coaches. One of the coaches in front of me kept swearing and Charles Barkley heard him and walked over to him. Barkley actually made the guy appologize to me because he thought it was wrong the guy was swearing in front of a 6 year old girl. I always thought that was really cool. For the rest of the game I called him 'The Tall Guy'...very original!
I will definently keep you all updated on the progress of the demolition as it goes on. Meanwhile enjoy some of the pictures and videos I took from the ceremony today!



1 comment:

  1. Awesome Barkley story! I hate to see legendary venues like the Spectrum go. Like you said, at least show proper respect by demolishing it with a spectacular explosion...or turn it into a museum..or something. So much history.

    ReplyDelete